27 Sept 2014

Switching to cruise control



Dressed to thrill
Now, for those not yet in the loop, I am about to embark on a two-week cruise to the Mediterranean from Southampton. The reason for this endeavour will be to accompany my dear mother who would have otherwise had to travel alone. 

As we have not spent much time together for more than 30 years, this is undoubtedly going to be a great chance for a little intergenerational therapy for us both; with all the joys and pitfalls entailed.  For me, personally, one of the biggest challenges to accept with this social experiment is the fact that cruise-company policy insists that guests need to be over 50 just to get on board.

The deadline for departure will soon be upon us and I am quickly starting to realize that a cruise ship is actually a lifestyle choice rather than a simple vacation. At the time of writing, I am reading through the pre-cruise literature in a frantic attempt to come up to speed on the intricacies of cruise etiquette. Did you know that there is a dress code for almost every occasion, ranging from smart casual to formal? And with so many rules and recommendations to remember, it is inevitable that I will be making many faux pas during my stay. Page 24 of the guide, for example, states that you are allowed to wear swimwear but only on the open decks. Unfortunately, I am not at all sure what you are supposed to wear for the trek between your cabin and the open deck. Perhaps I will play it safe and opt for a black tie.













No comments:

Post a Comment