24 Oct 2014

Weighing up the costs



A week has gone by since I returned to Finland and began dealing with a severe case of post-cruise stress (PCS). After the Saga Sapphire experience, readjustment to a normal civilian life has turned out to be much harder to do than anything anyone bothered to mention before I left. And finding the help needed to deal with it has not been easy either. Even in the internet age, it seems that very little support is given to PCS.


But I have learnt to adapt to my new circumstances and to take one day at a time.  Today, for example, I retaught myself how to make my own bed, cook some food and even sweep a floor; the day before I had even managed to summon the courage to weigh myself. Unfortunately, in that respect things hadn’t gone so well.  For it was then that I was confronted, in no uncertain terms, to the awful truth about what happens to anyone spending time on a cruise ship. Two weeks of 5-course-meals, lunchtime desserts, afternoon teas and evening G&T’s had taken a terrible toll on my body. I am sad to say that there are now five kilograms more of me in existence than before. A fitness regime has started.

As I hate gyms with a passion bordering on paranoia, I have decided instead to become a great supporter of bicycling. This is a good choice for me. After all, it is one of the few modes of transport still remaining where the traffic rules can be flaunted with impunity, which I find appealing.   It does feel so rebellious to go through a red light when there are no cars around.  

But don’t get me wrong here. Although I love the concept of breaking rules, I still believe that there are both sensible and irresponsible ways when going about doing it. Furthermore, I do not consider myself to be totally without regard for the sanctity of life, especially my own, as I go about losing those kilos. 
So during a sensible moment yesterday I invested in a set of lights for my bike. It took me a good hour to install them correctly, but I was very pleased with the result.

So after my efforts of last night, you can imagine just how disappointed I was this morning when I discovered that the first winter salvo of snow has been delivered. All those superb fitness plans I had put in place must now go on hold while I search around for snowshoes instead.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is not lost Paul 'taking food and drink is a great enjoyment for healthy people and those who do not enjoy eating seldom have the capacity for enjoyment or usefulness of any act' C Eliot. And remember you still have the best dessert to come.......

      Delete